Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,381 Times in 4,137 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Here's the thing..... You can shift manually in an auto with either the paddle shifters or the shift lever.
Semantics. I suspect for a lot of car forum people "manual" means 3 pedals. You are not "shifting manually", you are using a switch.
Quote:
And if you are shifting manually, you can have just as much fun.
Fun is subjective. I enjoy driving my mum's 2 pedal Yaris. I play around with the gear selector; it is still an auto.
Quote:
Spend 3 months in a Porsche with PDK and don't drive any other manual and you'll change your mind about manual transmissions
This is conjecture.
Quote:
-- and it is just as much fun. It's just that people, in general, don't like change.
See above. It might be just as as much for you. I do not dispute driving an auto can be fun. But it is not the same as driving a manual. Ergo, the fun is different. Not necessarily better or worse but different.

Every time I hear an auto Audi or a Golf take off from the lights with a bit of speed I am reminded why I don't want an auto. I also find it a little funny that with some superduper cars (a recent Lambo of some sort comes to mind) when one selects race mode the gear changes become more abrupt so the driver can feel something tangible with the gear change.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
ermax (07-28-2018), HKz (07-28-2018)