Old 07-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #3267
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Here's the thing..... You can shift manually in an auto with either the paddle shifters or the shift lever. And if you are shifting manually, you can have just as much fun. The only thing you don't have is the clutch pedal.
I disagree that it is just as fun. But I've seen people that have driven manuals for 20 years and still not learn all aspects of driving a manual. When they come to a light they just clutch in and roll to a stop. Boring. I have driven dual clutch tranny's. It's still just button pressing to me. There is more to it than just having a third pedal. You have a gated box that you can make mistakes on. You have the timing that you can make mistakes on. You have the launch that you have control over and can make mistakes on. You have rev matching that you control and can make mistakes on. See the thread here? There is a challenge to driving a MT properly and challenges provide a reward.

Quote:
For older drivers like me, the manual is built into muscle memory and you just don't think about it. Spend 3 months in a Porsche with PDK and don't drive any other manual and you'll change your mind about manual transmissions -- and it is just as much fun. It's just that people, in general, don't like change. As those of us who grew up with manual transmissions die off, the younger drivers will completely go to autos. Besides, the modern automatic transmissions have more gears than manuals.
True it becomes second nature, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. As I said above I've driven a handful of dual-clutch boxes. It has nothing to do with not liking change. It's just not as fun IMO.

Quote:
From a technology standpoint, I'd like a CVT that is programmed for performance and stays in the highest point of the torque curve all of the time. But again, people don't like change and that won't happen for quite a while. The perfect combination would be a hybrid with an electric motor for low end torque and a CVT when you get going. For those who want more control, I'd put in a lever to control where you are on the torque curve which would give you the same control as a manual, but there would be quite a learning curve.
Yeah cool technology but CVT would be the ultimate bore. Again I love technology. If I want to have fun with technology I will design a controller and write software to control my sprinkler system. If I want to have fun with a car then I want to be the one doing everything. No TC, ABS... nothing.

But anyways, we've beaten this horse enough.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (07-27-2018), HKz (07-27-2018), Irace86.2.0 (07-28-2018), krayzie (07-27-2018), rvoll (07-27-2018), Summerwolf (07-27-2018)