EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
It is clutch drag, but it seems to happen only when the whole thing is fully hot. I have the exact same mods as you, minus the shifter springs and and trans mount bushing. When its giving you trouble, put in a flat surface and try to engage fist gear without pushing on the brakes, watch your car slowly move forwards while still not letting you into the gear. I had the problem before the clutch fork and pivot was installed, also had it with another clutch before the ACT with lightweight flywheel went in. One last test, when its not letting you in, clutch in, wait about 3 seconds, give it a quick rev to around 3-4k and put the gear in while rpms are dropping, it will go in. Its a weird quirky thing but it seems to me like clutch drag, altho when they measure everything it always checks out, seems to happen only hot.
Yes, I have this behavior a little bit, but the car doesn't keep rolling. It just moves a little bit then stops.
This sometimes works, but results for me are inconsistent. It takes about the same amount of time for me to wait for the input shaft to stop as it takes to rev the engine for effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
When you are in neutral with the clutch out it will spin the input shaft. If you then press the clutch in and rush right into 1st the car will lunge a tad if you don't give the input shaft time to spin down. This is all normal. You should only be concerned if you clutch in, wait for the input shaft to come to a rest and then still get a lunge when going into 1st. That would indicate your clutch isn't fully disengaging.
My specific problem appears to be that if there is any signification rotation of the input shaft, the gear is difficult to engage. It's as if the synchros lock-up rather than mesh and gate the gear.
Like you mentioned, everything works fine if I wait for the input shaft to come to complete rest. The gear will glide in as expected. However, this isn't convenient when I'm at a stoplight in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
That is exactly the problem, I can keep the clutch in for over a minute, still wont go into gear, and tries to move forward when I push the gear in (holding it with a certain presure agaisnt the gate, it doesnt go in, car keeps moving forwards, not a small lurch, but a slow continuous movement). Im not rushing into gear, neither is him probably. Not normal at all, it is clutch drag for sure.
That definitely sounds like clutch drag, but I'm not experiencing continuous movement. Eventually the car stops for me, and if I hold it just a bit longer lightly, the gear will gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Okay but that isn't the description the OP gave. In your case I agree you have a clutch issue. Air in the line, TOB on it's way out or something else breaking on the clutch preventing it from fully disengaging. One thing I do to see if it's dragging is jack the rear wheels off the ground so there is no resistance and watch to see if they turn while the clutch is in.
This is a great idea as well. I'll try this out next time I get the car on stands and verify that it isn't even minor drag.

---
Appreciate all the feedback/discussion so far!
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote