Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #14
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotw View Post
I am considering a rear seat delete. I am wondering how much are the weight saving? How's the noise level difference? can you fold down the delete to access the trunk from the cabin? I feel like currently its nice to have the rear seats if I need them in a pinch unless there was a lot to be gained by deleting them. What's your overall thoughts on the mod since install?
With the Shrader kit the overall weight savings is 23 pounds according to them. Based on my own weighing of components going in and out in the process, I think it's closer to 30 pounds. It's not a huge amount, but I like the effect of having a true 2-seater, which is how all sports cars should be IMHO

Installation is pretty simple. One component I added was to use an Instapak Quick RT #80 under each rear seat basin covering panel to give it more structural rigidity (which it needs) and to add additional NVH reduction. According to another thread on this kit the #100 is the proper size to fully fill it in, but the #80 seems to have worked okay as well. All in all, the noise level is roughly the same as it is with the car stock, but the cabin feels more cozy and it makes it easier to put more stuff in the vehicle with the trunk panel removed compared to folding down the rear seats. Also, yes, you can remove the trunk panel or lay it flat and use the extra space for storage just like with the rear seat backs folded down.

Personally I did the mod about 80% because I thought the rear seats were pointless and I prefer sports cars to be 2-seaters, 10% for the weight savings, and 10% for looks. It's up to you whether it's something you're interested in, but ~30 pounds isn't a huge amount of weight savings for ~$300 and an afternoon of work. On the flip side, it's weight savings that doesn't mess up the appearance or comfort level of the car like stripping out the interior normally would.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote