Old 12-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #31
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Between the Tomel El and my current long tube EL there was a huge difference in the mid-range. 25-30 lb.ft. of torque will do that. Although, as I said before, a UEL with a good E85 tune can come close in the mid-range and have very comparable top end to any EL without the extra cost.

Red trace Tomel El Blue trace Long tube EL on 91 gas:

I've gotten more peak HP (another 10whp) from this setup since this initial test.
Thanks for giving a great example of the difference between types of EL headers. My 2 cents: Tomei make good quality short tube EL headers - personally I think they're better suited for FI applications. Long tube EL headers are better suited for NA applications as they fatten your torque curve nicely.

For those looking for EL headers for NA application, look at the above headers (PLM, nameless knock off), Nameless long tube, P&L long tube, PPE, PTuning. All different designs with different characteristics (primary vs secondary lengths, 4-2-1 vs 4-1, different tube diameters etc.), but all have longer tubes and all make a big difference in the low-mid range.

I run OFT with Shiv's stage 2 EL tune out of the box and it works great - could I squeeze out more power with a custom tune? Maybe - custom tunes are where OFT falls short, not many people other than Shiv will tune with it - if you're looking to spend the cash for a custom tune then Ecutek might be the way to go unless you have a good resource who will tune with the OFT. Otherwise, OFT works very well with the canned tunes and a good header.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote