Old 12-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #11
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
Scratch was couple inches long and deep enough to be felt when I ran my hand over it. That scratch itself wasn't that bad. Hence I left the dealer that night without making a big deal out of it. However, the repair was bigger than I expected. There is masking tape at the door jamb near the passenger side mirror. My worry is that another dealer, Carmax, or a private buyer (who knows his stuff) will think that the damage was more extensive or there was an accident.

Maybe not OCD in this case, more like paranoid.
There are many things that diminish a car’s value but only 5 really matter. Number 1 is obviously mechanical performance & maintenance history , Number 2 is condition of the consumable parts (brakes, tires, suspension, Windows). Number 3 is amount of reconditioning needed to resell. Number 4 is Warranty status. And Number 5 is history of reported accidents, repaired frame damage, and title status.

If the car looks good visually when traded in, meaning it appears to need NO reconditioning, then it’s good. The car has never been reported to have been fixed so that’s a good thing.

Private buyers know they are buying a used car so they will be more concerned about maintenance/Service history.

Trust me, if you are selling your car privately and you show the buyer a fat binder with all your oil changes and other service history and receipts (tire receipts, brake pad receipts) then the buyer won’t even care the car was repaired, if they even ask (they most likely won’t.)