View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #99
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm actually pretty open with regards to the engine, I ultimately don't really care what it is so long as it won't give me trouble. Be it functionally or during the drive. Toyota hybrids have proven to be pretty robust, and having driven a few hybrid and electric cars I do know there's potential for them to be fast and fun.

Based on this concept though, I need the 2+2 layout so right off the bat this can't replace my current car as I utilize that 2+2 layout a lot even if there's nobody in the back. If this wasn't an issue I would've already had either a S2000 or MX-5. So already I'm a no if this is the future 2nd gen. I bought a FRS because I wanted a sports car, but that 2+2 meant I could use it in the event of needing an emergency sedan. A big reason I like our cars is because its one of those few sports cars where you can use it as your primary car and not need some secondary car to make up for some practical shortcoming. At the end of the day I needed a car rather than a toy, but its really nice when that car can also be that toy car.

As for that gear lever, interesting take but I suspect if I ever drove this then that gear lever will ultimately do nothing. When I drive any automatic, my automatic response is to be lazier. Its why I'm not a paddle shifter guy, I try it once and go "ok that's how it works" and then forget it ever existed. I get no thrill out of them and its likely why I resort to leaving it in D 99.9% of the time. This even happened during the test drove of our cars. I drove the auto first and thought wow this is a good auto box, tried the paddles they shift very fast for an auto, and then I realized the rest of the test drive I never called on them ever again. Whereas the traditional manual, I simply like using it.

Biggest problem I see with how the current concept is, its basically trying to sell us on the idea of a hybrid MX-5. I suspect those of us who would enjoy such a thing might've already jumped ship to a Mazda MX-5 as its much lighter and often faster than our cars are. It doesn't seem interested in selling to those of us who wanted a light weight RWD sports car yet needed that practicality to even convince us to buy. I actually wouldn't have bought my FRS if it was a strict 2 seater, which would've been a real shame because I have enjoyed owning one.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote