Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #1908
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Correct. That's why clutch pedals are not the determining factor in what defines an 'automatic'. The principal determining gear selection is the deciding factor. Most serious modern race transmissions have no clutch pedal and can NOT be selected automatically, only the user can select the gears. DCTs and SMTs were designed to be operated by the user manually selecting gears, auto modes were added for convenience in mass market adoption. Torque converter automatics were originally designed to be operated automatically (hence the term 'hydramatic' or 'automatic') with the added feature of manually selecting gears later on for sportier enthusiasts. One was designed with the intent to eliminate gear selection (auto), the others were designed to increase the speed and accuracy of manual gear selection (DCT/SMT). At best, these are semi-automatic transmissions. The modifier added to differentiate them from automatic transmissions. For more, see semi-auto versus full auto firearms.

Either way, a DCT transmission and a torque converter transmission would be two very different experiences in the Supra. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a stick shift option just yet either.
Sure, I see your point, the term Semi-auto jives with me. Will some mass production DCTs actually let you stay in 1st gear, redlining, without eventually and automatically forcing a downshift into 2nd gear?