Old 08-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
A more likely build would be:

shocks/coilovers with camber plates or reasonable camber gain
spec wheels and tires (tires because of contingency)
swaybars* possibly up to the competitors/open
headers/exhaust with spec tune (or spec tune)
allowance for oil coolers, ducts, and brakes (similar to STX for track guys)

I'm thinking that this class would be an STX clone but with spec parts and/or more uniform/economical limits. The other option is to import the Spec 86 class, similar to how the spec miata class is allowed into a specific class even though they are slightly outside the scope of the original rules.

The top guys will swap for contingency, local guys without much competition or who aren't yet fully prepped will swap, and it would be a great place for new people.

The main issue I already see is the 13-16 and 17+ divide. The new cars are already orphaned in CS, but if they are moved into spec 86, they could have an inbuilt advantage (or possible disadvantage depending on rules, but I can't really see how that'd play out).

I wouldn't be against switching from STX to spec 86 if the rules, pax index, and contingencies were appealing; however, jumping classes costs money and I've already invested a fair amount prepping for STX (the value of the modifications/parts would also take a hit with the new class, since the market for performance parts would contract while suffering a glut of similar parts for STX competitors across the country).

I'm afraid that the class will be short lived and poorly supported (it's already at least a year too late to be economical for me and a half dozen of my STX friends).

Our local STX class has grown and prospered thanks to twins, a new class could work but only at the expense of STX. They are already moving cars to the new STH. The only beneficiaries will be the DS/CS guys who can escape the 4 cylinder turbo pony cars and ND Miatas, respectively (which means a lower prep than STX, which is already very daily driver friendly, or a higher prep without going full forced induction).
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
WRBrzRX (08-19-2017)