View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #38
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
They are both stg 1. These two logs are the same tune and stock header on different tracks. What I meant was that I ran more conservative timing when I was still on the stock header. I.e. I tuned for no FLKC on street. The one with more FLKC was the one with higher speeds/gears (and yes oil temp too). Though I think the higher gears are the reason for the more FLKC which is what I wanted to point out with these two logs as a comparison (the Meppen log mainly FLKC at lowish rpm).

With the stg 2 tune I run now, I accept some FLKC on street and subsequently have a lot more FLKC when tracking (that one time so far this year):
http://datazap.me/u/tor/tor-2141-track-logs
(now 15+ tune revisions ago)
I can confirm that kc does seem to increase at the upper ranges (load/rpms) in the higher gears. I have plenty of logs that show this. Though whatever the case may be, be it friction or sustained loads increasing the heat it seems pretty obvious that heat is a major contributor to knock corrections. Regardless where the oil temps are at relative to the knock you are seeing or which gear you are in, cooler relative oil temps (down to a certain level) will always increase the knock resistance.

For instance, you are seeing the same kind of knock at 220*F oil temps that DarkSunrise only sees when he goes beyond 240*f. By maintaining the oil temps under 240*f, DarkSunrise can increase the knock resistance in his particular setup and tune, just as you can do the same keeping it under 220*f. One thing seems pretty constant across the board. Keeping cooler oil temps will more often than not increase the knock resistance for the setup short of pulling timing. If you dont want to see that much KC yet you are unwilling to sacrifice ignition advance or change anything else in your tune
(ie. increasing temp/load regulated ignition retard), then your other option is to increase the cooling capabilities under the same circumstance. One of the best ways to do that is an oil cooler. (though obviously you'd still want it warm enough to have the oil working at optimal temps etc)

Know what I mean?

Edit:
Just to illustrate I tried to do a couple of 5th gear pulls to redline after work just now at different oil/operating temps.

Below 210*f oil in 5th:
http://datazap.me/u/solidone/5th-gea...1&zoom=189-456

Above 220*f oil in 5th in the same log:
http://datazap.me/u/solidone/5th-gea...zoom=2982-3322

Unfortunately we don't have anything like autobahn so I couldn't quite hit redline in 5th safely. It's the same log so you know conditions are almost identical between the 2 pulls besides the oil temp. Also the gear status is not logging correctly on OFT, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it that the pulls were in 5th. lol

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 08-02-2017 at 12:49 AM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote