Old 07-31-2017, 05:11 AM   #29
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I'm not sure if you are running an oil cooler, but check out @DarkSunrise's logs. I'm not sure how much ignition advance he is sacrificing for the sake of having a knock resistant tune for the track, but it pretty damn solid if you asked me. I think a big contributor to this is his track oil temps. "Dem oil temps" "Dat knock resistance"

Track Data Log thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108142
I don't think his oil temp is particularly low. But in any case I don't think FLKC and oil temp is directly related.

As I wrote a few posts back:
Quote:
That our oil temps rise too along with the internals of the engine is given since both are dependant on how hard you run the engine. It doesn't mean that oil temp in itself is causing the knock.
Below one of my track logs. Oil never goes above 220 f (104 C), due to oil cooler and fairly low ambient temp. Still there is plenty FLKC. This log is taken from a Fomula 1 track, with long straights and lots of driving in 4th and 5th. I didn't log gear in this particular log, but you can see it from the speed (km/h).

What makes it hard to compare to his logs is that we don't know what gear he is in. From the rythm in the log I would suspect it's a short track and not in very high gears.

I think oil temp can be an indication of the temperature of the engine internals, but it doesn't have to be. As in:
- the engine internals may be significantly hotter than what the oil temp would lead you to believe. E.g. the log below.
- Or oil temp may be fairly hot due to ambient conditions, low speed (less cooling flow over the oil cooler), but the engine internal might not be as hot as the oil temperature would indicate (low gears, not that much strain on the engine).

http://datazap.me/u/tor/tor-2141-tra...ata=9-21-22-31
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
solidONE (07-31-2017)