View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #3161
thetyrant

Drives: 2012 gt86 Cosworth charged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
You can check also the Sachs performance coilovers which are not that expensive. Their dampers use experience from motorsports and they are very high quality. Spring rates in front are similar to Ohlins . On the rear they are progressive and initial compression is again similar to Ohlins. Afterwards, they become stiffer to prevent the occasional bottoming out.

In general the Ohlins and Sachs spring rates are not strange. For example, the Sachs rates are about 30% stiffer compared to stock spring rates. The stock car is known to handle very well. Not only on the road, but also on the track. So, this increase rate seems quite reasonable. On the other hand, I don't know what is the reasoning to increase the rates 100%-200%.

Sachs are one ive no experience with personally although I know of others who have used them on Evos with good results, I will do some searching on them for the 86 etc.

Regards the Ohlins spring rates it is the soft rear im concerned with most as I know how bump travel limited these cars after a lot of measuring and testing this last few weeks, with such a soft rear spring im worried it may cause excess bumpstop issues, also understeer due to rear squat as its softer event than stock and although I know the preload is high on Phlins which will make a difference its still a concern, supposedly stock GT86 over here has 3kg front with 4kg rear and overall balance is good so why ohlins have swapped them around I need to ask the questions.

Different manufacturers have different theories with springs and damping rates of course, on a car like this with such limited travel I guess most are going high spring rates and then putting development into the damper to control it, ive been shocked on other cars with very high spring rates but quality engineered damping to control them making road comfort/compliance much better than expected.
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote