Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #128
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
I have a question about the shifting. Is it a legit way to control speed & acceleration, or is it a gimmick?

I don't know how exactly is this done (i.e., is there an actual gear ratio change) but it feels that way. In 4th you have almost no acceleration at low speed, and 1st and 2nd you have no acceleration at high speed.

Also the shifts feel very physical, as if there was an actual gear change. Especially downshifts jerk the kart a bit (maybe I should do revmatching... no idea how though ;-) ).

Some people I know complained about it, that it unsettles the kart, and they prefer to drive in Auto (which one of the employees told me just keeps the kart in the 4th gear, but I suspect it's the 3rd). I think though that with good timing it can be used to your advantage. If you downshift in a hairpin, the momentary increase of braking from the downshift will add a bit of oversteer and help rotate the kart quicker. But I am still learning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
Also, is there a light or do I need to stare at the bar graph to know when to shift?
Only the bar graph, but it's pretty big and clear and the top is yellow and then red so I found it easy to follow. I had more trouble remembering about the second smaller boost graph. I initially disabled the annoying fake sound of these karts (by itself, they are quiet, quieter than at other Autobahn places, maybe they use belt instead of chain or something, this why the fake sound is added), but then I stopped as it may help to get the shifts right based on the sound, instead of looking at the graph.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote