Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
There are a few mods I've regretted:

1) Pulleys. I don't wanna get into it.

2) Ebay lip. Fit like crap. Waste of money.

3) OFT. Nothing really wrong with it, but I should've just accepted the fact that I'd want ECUtek eventually.

4) LED fogs. They look good, but piss people off and I never use them anymore.
1) Yep, terrible investment (and potentially damaging).

2) There's a lot of cheap lips available on the forums that fit great. Just buy from someone reputable.

3) Can be resold for nearly as much as you bought it for. Totally worth it for that alone.

4) Depends. Factory fogs aren't even visible on the BRZ, so an LED assembly gives you functional fogs. Dunno what you have though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
- Avoid external wet carbon fiber parts if you're not going to wax them monthly (for U.V. protection). It needs care to keep from oxidizing.
Depends on the quality. If they used a proper UV stabilized gel coat it should be fine. Most don't though, so getting it properly cleared would alleviate that issue.

Quote:
- Avoid cheap coil-overs (less than $600), they'll fuck up both your ride and handling and will probably wear or break prematurely.
Hell, I'd bump that up to $1600. Factory stuff was heavily tuned from the factory and anything less is only going to hurt handling...

Quote:
- Avoid rod-ends in suspension parts if you don't plan on servicing them as wear items.
YES. The only exception would be ones with dust boots, but those are rare. If you're not inspecting these, you're risking your safety.

Quote:
- Avoid hood vents that unintentionally reinforce collision crumple points under the hood. You might regret this (dearly) in a collision.
Likely wouldn't matter because of the way the hood works. You're more likely to have issues with CF hoods...

Quote:
- Avoid custom intakes on N/A cars as they generally don't add any power that a drop-in filter won't also add. Many mfgs that produce intakes compare the stock intake vs. their custom intake + a tune. "Secret" is, most of the 0-10 WHP power gains are coming from the tune not the intake. A Drop-in filter + tune nets roughly the same gains over the stock CAI give or take a 1-3 WHP "margin of error" as an aftermarket intake + tune.
Some actually LOST power from what I remember. Long gone are the days of the K&N intake that adds tons of power, the OEM's actually put time into making good intakes because the engine will be more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norville Rogers View Post
Mods to avoid.

All of them. It's a car. Most aftermarket stuff is excrement compared to the dull but tried and functional OEM.

You asked.
Ok, who let the troll out?

Anyway, my additions:

- One piece driveshaft.

- LED's in the door lights as it could blow the body control module (exception would be the version that replaces the entire assembly).

- Metal shift knobs (unless you live somewhere that never gets hot...).

- Most CF hoods. Unless you need some kind of ventilation, the factory hood is lighter.

- Nitrogen in your tires.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote