Old 11-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Wait, so you got the plate? Send the plate to your insurance company and have an adjuster look at the car to start the process. If you know who did it, the insurance will go after them and you shouldn't have to pay anything.
I had an idiot run a red light and hit me. When I filed a claim with my insurer under my own comprehensive coverage, the way it was explained to me was that my insurance company would go after the other driver and/or her insurance company for the costs my insurance company incurred, and that they would also submit my claim for my deductible as a "courtesy" to me. However, they also said that if the other party refused to pay the deductible, I would still have to pay it and then sue the other driver myself to recover it. They would pay me what my policy required and would only fight for their own losses, and I would have to fight for the deductible myself.

So don't assume that you won't have to pay the deductible if it's not your fault. If that other driver is uninsured, it's likely you will have to pay it and try to get it back later.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote