Old 11-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #35
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
The electric rack is actually fairly easy to depower correctly. It fixes the feedback issue, and becomes straight manual steering. It involves removing the ball drive and motor.

Because the weight on the front axle is so low, the increase in low speed steering effort isn't that bad.

You're looking at 1380 lbs front axle S vs nearly 1600 in the 86.

It steers lighter than a manual rack EK Civic.

That all said, there's plenty of feedback from the S2000 steering, it's very precise, it's just not as good as the 86, and not as predictable. The predictability and neutrality of the 86 steering is most of what makes it so good.

I've driven sports cars with worse steering feel, especially modern ones.

There are, but not many, and finding a stock AP1 in good shape is becoming an adventure fit for Don Quixote.

I happen to have a stock AP1, and I cleaned out a whole storage area for the stock parts because I am NOT digging them back up.

It's the first car I've ever worried about modifying.

I was actually talking about feeling the front outside wheel toe in... Fairly aggressively from what it feels like.

I'm not sure the rear bumpsteer curve is very agressive... I can't feel that as well... But it wants to rotate with heavy braking... But I attributed that to the front toe in... It drifts really really well. Anybody who tells you different can't drift... Definitely snappier than the 86, but plenty communcative... Failing to listen is punished with a backwards exit or opposite direction spin... Immediately.

Perhaps the rears are doing more than I give them credit for. I'm thoroughly used to the 86, where the fronts do the majority of the footwork and the rear axle is practically a throttle-actuated rudder. Haha.
Throttle steer all the things.

I can help you set up the s2k to be telepathic.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Spartarus (11-03-2016)