Old 10-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #33
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
I have tracked both as well, and just not to feel left out.....yes the steering feedback on the S2000 is virtually non-existent. The rest of the cars feedback is great, making the numb steering feel stand out even more, but hey its pretty old tech now.

The wife and I are thinking about getting a BRZ again (and keeping the S2000) so maybe i can enjoy both.

I have never dealt with the steering rack at all on a car, except for adjustments in alignment, so i may not be thinking this next comment thru. But, I wonder, if anyone has ever tried to run an S2000 as a manual rack only.
The electric rack is actually fairly easy to depower correctly. It fixes the feedback issue, and becomes straight manual steering. It involves removing the ball drive and motor.

Because the weight on the front axle is so low, the increase in low speed steering effort isn't that bad.

You're looking at 1380 lbs front axle S vs nearly 1600 in the 86.

It steers lighter than a manual rack EK Civic.

That all said, there's plenty of feedback from the S2000 steering, it's very precise, it's just not as good as the 86, and not as predictable. The predictability and neutrality of the 86 steering is most of what makes it so good.

I've driven sports cars with worse steering feel, especially modern ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Seems like fun, hope I get to drive a stock one someday (if there are any left)
There are, but not many, and finding a stock AP1 in good shape is becoming an adventure fit for Don Quixote.

I happen to have a stock AP1, and I cleaned out a whole storage area for the stock parts because I am NOT digging them back up.

It's the first car I've ever worried about modifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
You'd acutally want the outside rear wheel to toe OUT to promote rotation..
I was actually talking about feeling the front outside wheel toe in... Fairly aggressively from what it feels like.

I'm not sure the rear bumpsteer curve is very agressive... I can't feel that as well... But it wants to rotate with heavy braking... But I attributed that to the front toe in... It drifts really really well. Anybody who tells you different can't drift... Definitely snappier than the 86, but plenty communcative... Failing to listen is punished with a backwards exit or opposite direction spin... Immediately.

Perhaps the rears are doing more than I give them credit for. I'm thoroughly used to the 86, where the fronts do the majority of the footwork and the rear axle is practically a throttle-actuated rudder. Haha.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus

Last edited by Spartarus; 10-31-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (10-31-2016), strat61caster (10-31-2016), WolfpackS2k (11-02-2016)