View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #15
velvetx

Drives: 2015 Honda Civic SI (sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
velvetex, I'm curious how you put together test drive observations. By your own words the only differences you noted between a 2007 Si and 2015 Si are the interior and exterior designs. However the biggest difference between these two cars are the engines! The '07 Si has an 8000 rpm screamer of a K20A engine with VTEC operating on the intake and exhaust valves. Meanwhile the 2015 has a rather pedestrian K24A with a 7100 redline and VTEC on only the intake valves. As far as engine differences go for Hondas, this is pretty big.

Your comment about the BRZ's low center of gravity making you feel every bump in the road makes no sense. A low center of gravity has nothing to do with feeling bumps in the road. In fact a lower center of gravity enables the suspension designers to use softer suspension settings while still achieving high handling targets, which means all things being equal you'd feel fewer bumps. In actuality you feel the bumps because the car has a stiff sporty suspension. Though by all accounts a WRX STI has a stiffer suspension - you should feel more bumps driving that car.

To help you pick a car its helpful to know what you'll be using it for. Do you plan to track your car? Autox events or HPDEs? Or just for daily driving and the occasional spirited weekend drive?
Alright in regards to the Civic SI comment. With the aggressive tunes and mods I had I didn't find that much of a difference between the two. The shifting was smooth, the midrange powerband was solid. Overall a nice car when you add in the vtech. Overall though the drive to me was the same.

In regards to the BRZ I drove I went to another dealership and think that the BRZ I drove was modded as the one at another dealership (older salespeople) it was bone stock. So I have to say the ride was definitely more in tune with how I described the miata except the shifting still was the stiffest out of the three. The turning on the new 2016 was also something that really amazed me and I may have scared the hell out of the sales person during a hairpin turn.

So what kind of driving am I going to do? Probably pretty spirited driving since I live in Norcal there are a lot of places to do this. Either late at night or early in the morning. I haven't decided if I will track the car. I kind of want to feel what F/I with the BRZ is like.

Overall I think based on my driving experiences and everything I read here I will more than likely be going BRZ. I know a lot of people might laugh at this but the BRZ reminds me a lot of the Supra as the mods are endless and the engine bay allows for an almost limitless amount of engine swaps.

Downside though is the car gets pretty hot but at least you can somewhat fix that as well as fix the torque dip.

I have modded every single car I owned and this really is a modders/drivers dream so I think the 2017 BRZ will be the one for me. Only thing that sucks is for some reason I really like the hot lava FR-S but the best color the BRZ comes in to me is the Blue Pearl.

Thank you for all your opinions I am really looking forward to joining the 86 crew shortly
velvetx is offline   Reply With Quote