Old 06-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #49
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Episode 2 was a BIG step in the right direction.

What worked for me

-Both the McClaren and the performance SUV segments were actually fun, interesting, and engaging.

-Much better overall chemistry with the whole cast. The interplay seemed genuine, and the cast seemed to have enthusiasm for the trip to South Africa that the old cast had started to shrug off as "old hat".

-Less Chris Evans this go around and more Joey. LeBlanc leading off nearly all segments worked better. Evans is better as a "color" man.

-A more enthusiastic studio audience.

-Cinematography and driving action are still top notch.

-Stig with the McClaren at the test track was VERY good. That car looks as fast as it is. Evan's play-by-play was still kind of annoying. I'd like to see Harris doing this part and actually giving insight into Stig's driving.

- Solid content on Extra gear like...

-Harris' segment at the racetrack (even though short) was something this cast can really expand on. They have the legit track chops with Jordan, Sabine and Harris.

- Rory is still quite a bit more natural on the couch than either Evans or LeBlanc. Although I thought he was a tad too contrarian this go around.

- Still, the comedian Rory interviewed was pretty darn funny and likeable. I've never seen the guy before.

A couple things to still work on.

-Continue to solidify each presenter's role on the show. This should take some time as each presenter's style becomes more evident.

-New standard questions for the guests. The "competition" about who's first car, and best car the audience liked best is still an uncomfortable and unnecessary way to get the rallycross results. Also, the watersplash and jump have little "skill" elements to them and therefore come off as gimmicky and boring. Fix this.

-There's still a noticeable echo from their new big concrete studio on Extra gear. Boom mics are not working. Lapel mics are needed.

-The timbre of Evans' voice doesn't work on television as it is. Needs some EQ on that high pitched tone.

Overall a marked improvement. I'm kind of surprised this wasn't episode 1 as it was so much better than the first show, but then again, they probably took lessons learned from that show to improve this one. It's good to see the showrunners are paying attention and willing to tweak where necessary. A fair amount of C/H/M fans want to see this edition fail. I personally want to see more gearhead content, and not less. C/H/M are still making a show even more to their liking. Vive la difference.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote