Old 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #91
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,894 Times in 2,035 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
Difference of opinion. I'd rather them increase the power so it can run with Mustang GT's.
A 330hp 2800 lb. Z would have superior power/weight over a Mustang GT, and would be quicker.

Quote:
The GTR was a technological marvel when it was released in 2009. It is their halo car. It gets people into dealerships, similar to a ZR1 or a 911 Turbo. More people come to look at them and buy some boring Altima than people who actually buy them. And that's the point of a halo car.
I don't believe in "halo cars". I seriously doubt GM is selling more Cruzes, Volts, etc. due to the ZR-1, or that Nissan is selling more Altimas due to the GT-R.

Quote:
I think the GTR was a definite right move for Nissan. A four-seat, two ton AWD behemoth that could lap the Nurburgring in the same time as a 911. How sick is that?
Pointless as far as I'm concerned. Ego-booster for the rich, primarily.

Quote:
I didn't say I wouldn't like it. I just don't see it as a smart move. Part of the reality of the hatch market is that people are buying them for versatility, including a drivetrain perceived as being more safe in inclement weather, which necessitates FWD or AWD.
That market is already met. This would be for a different market, those who want utility/versatility and a very fun rwd driving experience.

Subaru for years didn't understand that there were PLENTY of customers for the WRX in the U.S. A similar sedan/hatch but rwd instead of awd would be cheaper and have greater appeal to a lot of enthusiasts (like me).

Quote:
Sometimes vacant markets were vacated for a reason.
And sometimes the reasons are dumb. The small, lightweight, rwd coupe/hatch was abandoned because Nissan wasn't selling many 240SX's, because they insisted on not giving us the SR20DET version to keep from cannibalizing 300ZX sales. So BOTH the Z and the SX left the market. Doh...

Quote:
I don't know what the demand is for a RWD hatch. You might be right, there might be a silent majority clamoring for them. But it would be quite a risky move.
It certainly wouldn't be a *majority*.

Quote:
Toyobaru's move was less risky. The Miata was already there and thriving in that market.
The FRS is not a Miata, it's a modern 240SX. People are going to be cross-shipping against Gen Coupes and (groan) V6 Mustangs more so than MIatas.

Speaking of the Miata, that's another instance of a market segment (small, lightweight, economical rwd 2-seat roadster) that had been abandoned, though demand was there. There hasn't been a small, lightweight, economical rwd sedan or sedan-based hatch on the US market for decades. You wouldn't sell as many as Mazda sells Mazda3s, but I bet you'd sell as many as Subaru sells Imprezas. RWD should be cheaper to build than awd.

Risk? Yes, but by sharing the platform with a new smaller/lighter Z *and* a new Silvia, risk is heavily mitigated.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote