BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
Just for comparison sake, how would you guys compare a brz + edelbrock on 91 carb tune vs the power a stock 16 wrx or even STI (EJ) makes? just so i can get an idea. both my roommates have a wrx, the other a STI that i have driven a lot, but I've never gotten in an edelbrock brz.. i know they are different.AWD/turbo but anyone with input?
What are you trying to compare? power delivery? overall package?

I was actually on the fence between getting the SC or saving the money as down payment for a new car. I test drove a '15 WRX last year before getting the kit, definitely very different power delivery. The FA20T in the wrx spools up very quick and early, really good torque down low compared to the e-force, which is more mid-range (you feel it early on, but brunt of it is around 4-5k rpm). Both felt very similar: smooth, little to no "lag" (for the turbo), a steady build up of speed.

Driving-wise, the new wrx is miles better than previous versions (I used to own an '05), but you can't beat lightweight+RWD. When we got to a twisty section during the test drive, I immediately felt uneasy, having to let-off the throttle while working my way around the corner. It was a dry summer day, so grip was not a problem. I later took the same road with the BRZ+SC and it was a very different experience. Much more nimble, the added power meant I didn't have to wring out the engine and I can just leave it in 3rd and squirt away.

TLDR: Power delivery about the same with the FA20T. If you like the way the 86 drives, lightweight+more power=even better
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (02-29-2016)