Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
Tcoat. You put things somewhat in perspective
However, it sounds as if you believe that any mod, other than original design specs, will reduce reliability. Please tell me otherwise.
Not at all. My car is modded and so far has been as reliable as hell. Two of my Lancers were heavily modded and never had an issue with either in 250K miles each.
As I tried to stress changing anything from designed specs can increase the risk of problems (you can have problems stock as well so there is always risk) but that does not mean you will have problems just that the risk is greater. People here have blown BCUs with a simple LED light in the license plate while others have run 16 pounds of boost on an otherwise stock engine and never had a hiccup.

To take it out of the car realm which leaves things open for people to say "but I did XXX and it was fine" but illustrate what I am saying:

Say you have jumping platform that is designed to be 1 foot high.
You can jump off that all day long and the risk of breaking your leg is pretty minimal but, you still could break your leg.
Move that platform up to two feet and the risk of breaking your leg increases but it does not mean you are going to break it, just the risk of doing so is greater.
Move it up to five feet and you are starting to push your luck but you could still possibly jump all day without an issue. Or, because the original design was what was deemed the best for the purpose you may break your leg on the first jump.That was the chance you took by changing from the original design.

As long as people fully understand the level of risk and are willing to accept it then all is good.