View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #3207
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
Absolutely no issues with P.mu Club Racer pads, BUT...I've been hypnotized by RR-Racing Sport kit in silver. Thinking of selling the front and rear pads and going with just RR-R Sport front kit.

Would I see similar/better performance (no fade, increased longevity, etc.) by going from P.mu CR pads to RR-R Sport kit front only? I would be lying if I said that the LOOK of the bigger rotor and caliper was not a factor in my decision.

I'm not forced to change out brakes as I have stock pads, and P.mu pads are only used for the track. I am aware that there are other proven brake upgrades available (AP Sprint Kit) but RR-R Sport kit seems like a good middle ground IFF it performs better than P.mu CR front and rear pads.
So I think this really depends on what you're doing with them and what you're experiencing currently.

My brake calipers and rotors are stock, Performance Friction 08 (endurance compound) pads, stainless lines, and Castrol SRF fluid. Tires are 245/40-17 Direzza Z2 SS. I have an absolutely fun time with this setup at standard HPDE days with 20-30 minute sessions. Sure, with better brakes I could dive deeper into the braking zones and set better lap times... but I'm not taking home a Rolex so is it worth the $2k+ upgrade... 'meh'.

Now the flip side. Right about the 30-35 minute mark of hard driving (Instructor group w/ 1hr sessions or open track) this setup starts to inspire less confidence. Braking distance begins to increase appreciably. The added braking requirement now puts more heat into the pads which exacerbates the problem until around 37-38 minutes where things can start to get 'dicy' but manageable so I'm pulling back into the pits because it's not worth the risk to keep pushing. That's where I personally feel the value of the kit comes into play. Safety first, then enjoyment (being able to run a full session), then asthetics.

You'll need to determine honestly for yourself if you're nearing/exceeding the capacity of your current system for your desired application (HPDE / Time Trial / etc.). That said, if you do go with the front kit, you should still use a matched (or as close as you can get) set of pads to the front for the rear factory caliper/rotor config. The EBD in this car can do some funky things and you definitely don't want to destroy a set of street pads and have no rear brakes. Also, see if the kit you're looking at will work with your current wheels or if that's going to be another expense.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote