Old 12-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #396
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I was about to say the same thing. "Heat soak" is such a general term and very hard to quantify. Looking at NotSoJDM's data, if we are talking about "heat soak" as the cooling efficiency of the W2A intercooler, I think it has done a pretty good job, with intake temps maxing out at 140 F and staying steady through out the session.

I would guess that if we had timing data, we can see how the engine is coping with the increased temps. His comment about the power staying relatively the same seems to indicate that the engine isn't pulling any timing. On the other hand, he was using higher octane gas.
My answer was more towards the observation that the heat exchanger was retaining heat between sessions. Not so much towards the heat exchangers inefficiency to cool while in use. I agree, the graphs show the temps are stable throughout the entire session, so I don't think there is any doubt that the heat exchanger was doing its job while on track. And as @CSG Mike stated, timing wasn't being pulled at any point that I saw in the log.

The way I understand heatsoak is that it refers to the ability to dissipate heat once the system is off (between sessions). The end result being that once the temperatures became elevated in the first session, they remained at a higher temperature throughout the rest of the day. If I ran an air-air intercooler, I would expect it to warm up during use, but during cool down dissipate most of the heat built up from the previous session. With the water-air it seems like the temps are much more stable as more of the heat stays in the system while not running.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (12-01-2015), Edelbrock LLC (12-01-2015)