View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #19
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Alright, time for review that some of you guys are interested to hear about. GSpeed's Gas Pedal Kit

If you follow GSpeed/PST member journal, you know that they're legit shop. They take data to show what works and what part make what. If you got time, I would highly recommend reading their thread (GSpeed's 2015 BRZ)

Anyways, we have been PM'ing back and forth each other on ideas about what 86/BRZ owners would like to see. I've suggested this.

Not sure due to Toyota's gas pedal issue, but gas pedal on our car is too far and too deep in! If you look at official Scion FR-S photos, you see that they have different gas pedal.

...but sadly, we got different pedal. FYI there is pedal like that made. In my knowledge, I know 3 people that owns it. One of them is of course Moto-san from Club4AG. One day, I gonna steal it from him lol

But realistically speaking, I can't really steal that pedal from my sensei (teacher/master).

Anyways, GSpeed listen to my idea and start developing kit that push gas pedal forward (towards driver) and closer to the brake pedal as well.

Quality

Quality is top notch for sure! All good quality parts and no concern on anything. Instruction... maybe need some improvements (not too detail), but hey, it's simple parts, so I guess doesn't need much detail instruction.

Installation

GSpeed did great job making the kit simple, so very minimal tools are needed. Fit like a glove! I didn't need to force anything on any parts... BUT it did took me a sec (plus reading the instruction) what this part was.

Answer is gas pedal holder (not sure proper word for it). Because Gas pedal get pushed forward, when you 'floor' it, it won't hit the floor. This part will help you from over flooring and breaking the pedal. Here's comparison between OEM.

Now, that's out of the way, here's a pic of before and after pic of installation.

Before Gas Pedal kit:

After Gas Pedal kit:

As you can see, it did move the gas pedal forward and closer to brake pedal. To be technical, move the gas pedal 1" forward and 1/4" closer to the brake pedal (GSpeed, if I'm wrong, LMK).

Performance
Mix feeling about this. Yes, it made heel and toe A LOT easier... but ergonomics was off that daily driving this car was a bit of hassle. If you're track geek and you only drive this car only at track and flooring the whole time, yeah sure, it's fine. When you're daily driving and you want the light push of the gas pedal, your right feet is in very awkward position. Solution? Push the seat 1 click back. Some owner will be fine with it that solution.

I'm very picky on position I sit to race and drive. I've tested few autox with pedal kit on. At the beginning it's something needed to get used. Why? Because you might push the gas pedal as well as brake pedal. Not gonna lie, I did that several times. It's prob due with my lazy right feet not hitting the brake pedal in the center, but instead hitting on corner. Also when I try to do heel and toe in full braking, gas pedal is a tiny bit higher than I wish to be. result is an missing the gas pedal or not properly pushing the gas pedal.

My solution this concern was this.

I had local CNC shop help me shave 1/4" off. Thanks for GSpeed not welding that screw, I just unscrew it off and shave the aluminum. Installed it and tested it out.

Now, gas pedal was 99.5% perfectly where I want it. In daily driving, no awkward position nor 1 click back on the seat. I can comfortably drive without pushing the seat back. While I'm racing, I can heel and toe perfectly! Gas pedal is right spot, easier to do heel and toes without extra effort. It's almost like how OEM gas pedal should of been.

IMPORTANT NOTE
My modification do require cutting. GSpeed lifted the gas pedal 1" on purpose. Gas pedal bolt that welded to the firewall is 1" tall. If you lower more than that, you have to 1) Cut the bolt shorter or 2) drill a hole in gas pedal module. I wasn't really willing to drill sensitive module, so I just cut the bolt about 1/4". I went to local Harbor Freight & picked up rotary tool for $10. Took me bout 5~10mins cutting and installing, but nothing too hard.

It's kinda hard to see from the photo, but bolt I've cut is AFTER the nut, so it's nothing worry. Kit is tight and it won't budge.

Conclusion

I would still recommend this kit to anyone. If you're annoyed that gas pedal is a bit far/deep and having hard time doing heel and toe. After installing the kit, get used to the position of the gas before you start driving or worse go racing (not like me lol). If you're willing to go extra mile to shave the kit about 1/4"~1/6" (that's 6.35mm~4.23mm) and willing to cut little bit of bolt off, it's might be worth it.

If you like to buy one @FT-86 SpeedFactory do carry them (& I think, they're the only place that carry it): Gas Pedal Kit

It's a bit pricey... but if you want that perfect heel and toe, worth looking into.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 03-20-2017 at 12:07 PM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote