View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 AM   #1619
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan767 View Post
Well checked all of those spots mentioned and it wasn't the issue. I did find a SS braided hose touching the frame near the driver side of the trans, wrapped it in some extra hose cut in half long ways and I believe I have finally sorted my annoying rattle!!

After checking everything again this weekend I spotted a good deal of dryed coolant coming from the turbo coolant feed line. I found both ends of that hose had turned into rock and were cracked. After spending literally 4 1/2 hours of trying to get the hose off (essentially had to chip away at it with a flat head) I finally had the entire hose replaced.
If you plan on replacing this line (throttle body to turbo coolant feed) you'll need some 5/16th high temp heater house. My local NAPA didn't have 5/16 so I went with 1/2 which is a bit larger then needed. I found that the turbo feed fit perfectly but the throttle body feed was really small. Smaller then 5/16. I still used the hose but used two wide worm clamps to install - will keep an eye on it.
Another tip is to buy the protect-a-boot (spark plug boots) sleeves. All autoparts stores will carry this, doesn't have to be DEI brand. Put one sleeve on the hose after connecting the turbo feed and push it all the way down. This will protect that hose from high radiant temp from the turbo, and protect the hose from rubbing against the oil feed and body.

Oh and be ready to catch about 1/4th bucket worth of coolant after popping the bottom line.

After test driving, no more leaks and no more rattles!(knock on wood)

After having to deal with that same issue, I installed fittings onto the coolant lines themselves to be able to disconnect them if I ever wanted to remove the turbo. It's saved me a ton of time over the past year.