Old 09-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #75
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Purely anecdotal since I am not going through all the threads to compile data but many (most?) of the stories about these failures start with something long the lines of "I had just been on the highway a couple of minutes when...".
Now, I certainly don't know if everybody takes ramps like I do but I do know that I use them as very short tracks. I can easily be at or above the speed limit by the time I hit the highway on some of the bigger ones. There can be some pretty heavy lateral force involved and although I am not familiar with the oil pump orientation I would have to think that if it was floating or rubbing on the housing this could jamb it temporarily and reduce the volume considerably.

HMMMMM you may be onto something there.

Anyone know where the oil pickup is in the sump? Under lateral load the oil will tend to move to the outside surface of the sump, which could lead to oil starvation if the level is low and the pickup is on the inside.

There were M3s on which it was advised to run the car with an extra quart of oil in the sump if you were doing a track day.