Old 06-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #513
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
Yeah this is unfortunately what we face in this day and age as the engineers don't build in a significant amount of excess. Just enough to get the job done safely, within reasonable use, and in the end saves money and increases efficiency.
Really makes you hate new cars, doesn't it? Really makes me wish I could buy the shell with no goddamn engine, and put an appropriately over-engineered piece of machinery in there. Still considering that option - more to come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
Lee is correct in this application. Shimming the pressure relief only increases pressure where there is excess volume such as colder oil temps and at medium RPM ranges.
I'd just like to reiterate what I said on the last page and clarify for everyone, because the statement Lee made is correct in this application by pure coincidence, and his statement is conceptually incorrect. He made a 4-part statement, and it's wrong to call it correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
shimming the PRV wont help up the oil pressure at high rpm at all. Thats not how a PRV works. It only opens when there is too much pressure, its a relief valve.

At high rpm and temperature with dropping oil pressure the PRV will be closed.
I color coded it by factual accuracy.
Green = Correct
Red = Wrong
Orange = Correct in this application, by coincidence, but USUALLY wrong. And will likely become incorrect in this application if pump discharge volume is increased at any given viscosity.

Hope that helps people understand a bit better. Read post #489 for further clarification
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote