View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Chimney Rock, NC

Chimney Rock, just up the street from Lake Lure, is an impressive monolith that has been a tourist attaction for almost 100 years. It, and the surrounding mountains that include some great hiking trails, waterfalls and fabulous views are now a NC state park. Until very recently it was all privately held land and attraction.

The 315 granite monolith can be seen at the top of the photo. The park was closed right before I arrived so I was not able to drive up for a closer picture.

The village at the base of the mountain has your typical trinkets from mountain villages. When I was a kid, this stop always netted me a "genuine" rubber tomohawk or head-dress, or sometimes a pop gun or two.
Attached Images
 
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote