View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #378
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Installed the following parts into the car:
Carbon driveshaft from DSS (weight approximately 13lbs compared to 20+ stock)
STi rear axles from the JDM BRZ tS (larger diameter shafts with equivalent weight as stock)
STi steering rack bushings (harder durometer rubber)
STi steering rack bolt assembly (the bolts penetrate through the subframe, effectively using the frame assembly as a stiffer joint)

These modifications probably had one of most significant changes to the overall feel of the car. It now rev's faster, accelerates quicker, and does it all much more smoothly than before. Combined with the solid feel of the bushings, the overall car just feels more balanced through the corners than before. I was most surprised with just how smooth the car feels; and while it's hard to effectively pinpoint whether the contributions come from the driveshaft or the axles, the combined effect of the two has made the car even more enjoyable to drive.

With these updates, the last major component is the STi draw stiffener, which will go on most likely later this week.

And with that, the journey of this car really comes to an end. I started out almost 3 years ago with no clear idea of what I wanted to do with this car. It started as an impulse buy after just falling in love with it. From that point on, I wanted to do something that would be unique here in the U.S., and it ended up being a conversion of the STi performance line (which would then effectively translate into the JDM BRZ tS). To this day I get asked why I would do such a build, when there's much cheaper and "better" options out there. My answer is quite simple: because I can. As someone who works in operations in a manufacturing environment, I have an appreciation of OEM parts and, whether you believe this to be true or not, would still prefer parts that were not only designed as intended for the original product, but designed to function effectively together. There will always be cheaper parts (and I find the idea of something "better" very subjective anyway), but more important to me is putting together something cohesive.

And while the potential of the tS may be released in the U.S. (which may effectively negate all my work), I still find the prospect a low probability based on the money and time it took to put this car together. And even if it does come, I doubt it will be the same car (it will most likely be stripped of some of the components). Regardless, I am having immense fun with it and hope to continue to troll both people on the street and Subaru employees (bringing this car to the dealership is always fun).

I doubt I will truly be "done" with modding this car, but as it stands, the focus now shifts solely to the WRX . In any case, the mod list has been updated! Enjoy!
Attached Images

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
cameronjones239 (05-17-2015), krayzie (07-09-2015), mokinbird87 (06-29-2015)