Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@EQtuning View Post
Having installed and driven both kits, but do not own either I can give my less biased opinion.

The JR kit is great quality and fits well, it is easy to install and uninstall if need be. It's CARB legal, that's important to a lot of people in California, where I'm willing to bet a majority of 86's were sold. Jacksons customer service is awesome, and they stand behind their product. I have yet to see a major issue with one, and that says a lot. Their oil cooler setup with the rotrex cooler is also genius.

Cons to the Jackson kit for me, were the original silicone throttle hose(since redesigned), the cheapish plastic diverter valve and just the Rotrex in general. Its not my personal favorite centrifugal blower, but it seems to be doing well on these cars. Also the bumper fitment on the drivers side can get tricky with the Intercooler pipe, especially with fog lights.

The kraftwerks kit looks nice. The upgradable larger blower is neat too. That's really all I liked about it. The quality of the components seemed good, but the MAF placement is aweful. Price I guess is definitely a plus; it is on the cheaper side.

Bumper fitment sucked with their stupid Intercooler bracket design. Running a ribbed belt off the front of the crankahaft is horrible, and the belt is noisy as hell. I don't understand why they keeping making the argument that their kit won't leave you stranded, they have more belt issues then any other kit. You get lucky if that belt breaks and doesn't take other things out with it. It could easily get wrapped around the accessory belt and cause hell.

Worst of all, I know that at least in the BMW world, you could not run a ribbed belt on a rotrex blower and keep your warranty, I don't think that has changed(maybe?) but that is why I do not reccomend the kit. Also, how long ago was it promissed to be CARB legal?
I didn't say it... someone else did...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Figo (06-16-2015), themajesticone (03-11-2015)