View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #962
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The entry speed is rather conservative. The initial rotation is caused purely by weight transfer under braking. THe initial throttle blip is for a downshift into third.

The entire corner is taken under a state of slip, with minor corrections throughout the turn. The angle of slip is sustained, as inidicated by the speed of rotation indicated on GPS, as well as the lateral G forces, which has effectively zero correlation with steering input. You can see rotational changes minorly manifested in the rear wheel speeds having a 2-4% increase. This increase in rear wheel speed is corrected out via either weight shift with steering input, or throttle adjustment; the average correction occurs within 1/10th of a second.

The large drop in throttle toward the end is a gear shift; yes, the shift is occuring mid-corner, and does not upset the balance of the car. You can see that throttle application is removed by the rear wheel speed dropping to match the front tires, instead of being faster. You'll also notice that I roll onto the throttle from about 40% to 100% over the course of a full second, and this begins while the steering wheel is pointed *right* (this is a left hander for those not familiar). The car continues to rotate, again, without correlation to the steering wheel input.

At no point is the car going straight; the exit of 2 is directly connected to the entry of 3. This is observed by noting the rate of rotation via GPS, and the lateral G sensor. Initial rotation is again initiated under braking. THis is effectively a purposeful "cooking the entry" to increase cornering speed; the minimum speed and apex are still sustained.

This is a *terrible* example of "smooth is fast".
Yikes! That line into three will make most people spin (if you are doing it where I suspect you are)! Out of curiosity, doing this type of a entry you must be cooking your tires pretty quick, right?
Also, are you doing this on the uphill, crest or landing?

Additionally, I think there is a possible improvements in turn 2 that you might be able to make (or maybe you are already and I just can't pick it up from the data).
Basically you can extend the straight into the turn by going far right, making a small turn and carrying in straight, then braking part way through the turn (I haven't pulled off this line, it has only been described to me). Theoretically this should shorten your time in the relatively slow continuous state section of the turn.

I am a little surprised you didn't take the turn in 4th; that shift seems like it would suck and you should have the torque to make everything work in fourth. I take turn 2 in third gear, but that is because I lack power to handle it in fourth. I also have a suspicion that if I entered the corner at a better speed then I would also be taking it in fourth (I am way over braking the turn's entry along with a bunch of other turns).

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote