Old 10-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #38
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
I have two questions concerning acceleration and the wear it has on my FR-S.

#1 I was a light today, random guy in a F-150 gives me "The Look" so I stab at my gas pedal twice to let him know ( I'm 18, I can do stupid Sh*t like this). So the light turns green and I bog it, bad. He has an auto no doubt and a lot more low end torque so this dem F-150 is pulling on me quite a bit. Then I reach 5K, hit the power band, chirp in second and blow his doors off.
So the question is, without burning my clutch out or dumping my clutch ( It's a freaking pickup truck at a red light, I'm not gunna dump the dem clutch) is there anyway not to bog it?
Do auto FR-S's pull on manuals with out a revving them out and dumping the clutch?

#2 How bad is chirping in second for my car? I know it's just a tire squeak and shifting into 3rd without letting the rpm drop is the same thing. But should I be holding my clutch in untill the rpm and trannys sync and then shift? Or is just jumping gear to gear as fast as I can not TOO bad for it? ( I shift pretty dang fast ) I don't wanna mess my car up, thanks.

OP don't worry about all these replies. It sounds like you're concerned about launch, in addition to concerns about your shifting causing 2nd gear chirping. Both are related to possible improper shifting technique.

I could get in depth here but fortunately there are experts better suited who can summarize much more succinctly than I can. This guy's video highlights a common mistake new drivers make when shifting, as well as discussing the proper technique to use in its place.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmlZZRsckM4"]Granny shifting not double clutching like you should - YouTube[/ame]

The Following User _________ Stay_Puft(09-13-2014)
Says Thank You to
MmmHamSandwich For
This Useful Post:

MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MmmHamSandwich For This Useful Post:
AznKirby (10-21-2014)