Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Honestly, I really hate polymer 9mm compared to steel. There's so much more muzzle flip it reminds me of a toned down .40SW in polymer. More manageable, but annoying.

My problem is wrist locking/strength - specifically, I don't have the strength to lock my wrist very well due to an old (dumb) injury and I have poor form in understanding HOW to lock my wrist without putting a death grip on the pistol. I actually started out the range day playing with the Springfield TRP and shot reasonably well - but 30 minutes later I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and you could see the muzzle flip so much more violently. To me, there's no reason to have a .45 when I can't even shoot 9mm remotely well.
Actually, the death grip IS the proper way to grip the pistol. That helps lock the pistol into your overall mass and keeps it from putting all the recoil force onto your wrists. Mas Ayoob calls it the "crush grip", as you use your palms and heels of your hands to effectively try and "crush" the grip of the pistol, which locks the pistol in, leaving your fingers freed up from helping grip the pistol to ONLY firing it (b/c finger movement is linked between them, so if you're tensing some of your fingers, your trigger finger dexterity is also affected and you're more likely to yank the trigger to the side than straight back). Think of it kind of like the traction circle. So, here you're taking the partial duty of grip from the trigger finger (b/c that's what the other fingers are doing) and letting it be 100% for trigger pulling.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote