View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #11
ayetothejay

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
Did you put the stock relay back as well?
no. I still have the relay from the toms tail lights. I'm thinking about buying a relay from hid powerhouse and maybe that will cure the freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
When you say gradually went away, the stock bulbs also had the freezing effect for a bit?

Does the freezing happen right when you turn on the parking lights and then turn signals? Or does it work fine until the parking lights have been on for a little while, letting the bulb warm up? How does the bulb feel if you let the parking lights sit for 10-15 minutes then pulling out the bulb?

I had this happen with some switchbacks before too... it turns out the bulb was overheating. When it was in parking light mode, the constant on/white light overheated the bulb so that the when it tried to go to turn signal mode, it would freeze. It was HOT when I tried to pull it out, had to let it cool down a bit.

I got another set of switchbacks, and it was fine. Didn't touch the relay.
it had the same freeze effects after I installed the stock bulbs again and did a little test on it. after a few runs, it blinks normally again without having any freezes. weird part is, my switchbacks was working real well with the toms relay until just recently which is why I ruled out the relay right away and thought it was a busted led. when I replaced the LEDs with a new pair, it still freezes. yet now with the stock bulbs, it's working fine again. I tried it on all 3 functions (headlights off/parking lights on/headlights on) and no freezes. even with hazards on, it doesn't freeze up. so I'm guessing the majority that responded was right about the relay. will order one again and see if that would change anything. the relay is just a pain to install but I'll do it since switchbacks just looks way better than the stock ones + I hate that my headlights are 6000k, my signal lights are amber, and my fogs are hyper yellow. too much color contrast. lol. btw, the relay that you're using, is it the stock one or did you purchase one with your switchbacks?
ayetothejay is offline   Reply With Quote