View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #2157
R L Newb

Drives: LR BRZ Ltd, 06 STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
Has anyone local done a trans and dif oil swap?

I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. It sounds like Pentosin MTF2 and Motul Gear 300 are the two popular choices. I think the Motul is the way I'd rather go based on what I've read about the performance of it. Plus the bottle has a nice spout that makes it really easy to fill directly without needing a pump or funnel, etc..

I was pricing out Motul.. It's about $20 a bottle. I would need 4 bottles for both Trans and Diff. So it would be about $80.

I checked Amazon.. i could get a full case for $160 shipped. That's 12 bottles.

Does anyone want to go in with me? 12 bottles would be enough for 3 people. That would be under $55 each.. a lot better than $80.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Seth

I've done two so far and about ready for my third. I really like Amsoil severe gear in the diff, it holds up as well as the Subaru Extra-S I use for wrx/sti's. The amsoil in the tranny though... really don't like the shift feel. I've been trying to find another GL3/4 to replace it with.

Pentosin supposedly gives a nice shift feel, even cold, but it's so thin makes me second guess long term.

Also, the trans is GL3/4 and the diff is GL5 oils. are you saying you'd use one type of motul for both? We have soft/yellow metal synchros in the trans and they can't handle a GL5 oil. It's the only reason I'm not running Extra-S for the BRZ as well.
R L Newb is offline   Reply With Quote