View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #97
gabe0807

Drives: '13 FR-S (White)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
^This. I had a trunk style (and a very high end one) on my tC and it did cause damage, even using giant blocks of foam and paint protection film to avoid it...<snip>....
In addition to what Matt said, I much prefer a tray mount for holding the bike as well.
1) Easy to mount. With a 1-up, there are no straps or anything. It literally takes seconds to put the bike on and off.
2) Mounting to the wheels is universal and if using something like the 1-up, works for pretty much any bike. The trunk mount racks need to attach to the bike frame which can be difficult especially for full suspension bikes.
3) A tray rack also contacts the bikes at the tires where it won't scratch whereas a trunk mount rack can scratch your frame up especially over long dusty roads. This is more important with carbon frames. I prefer to damage my bikes by crashing, not through transport.

That being said, I do not think that this is the ONLY solution, and nothing about this solution is cheap. However, I go biking a lot, so its definitely worth the investment. I have typically found that it costs about $500 to get a good bike solution for each new car I've had whether that is roof rack, hitch/rack, or this tow-hook/rack.
gabe0807 is offline   Reply With Quote