View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #34
SHIFTER

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
The "sticky" point for me with this Ca-Fi HU is the $533 pricetag.

A Nexus7 (2013 model) tablet with a FAR SUPERIOR (quad-core 1.5GHz, vs the single-core 1GHz of the Ca-Fi) processor and thereby inherently an also FAR SUPERIOR GPU (Adreno 320, vs. whatever's in the Ca-Fi), 2x more RAM, 8x more ROM, 1900x1200 screen (vs. 1024x600 Ca-Fi) can be had for $230 (or less).

Don't get me wrong, I get it...It's not about just the hardware specs. The Ca-Fi offers an entire "package" that seems to be pretty much plug-n-play, and I have watched some of the videos and it does seem responsive. Still, to me, $533 for something with hardware specs that read like a cheapo, no-name, fly-by-night Chinese brand tablet, just isn't right.

With the listed hardware specs, if this thing were more in the $350 (or less) range, I'd probably be having a case of itchy trigger finger...But not at $533.

Buying on specs alone is kind of, well - not the point. The real elephant in the room is what works BETTER in the car. I won't tell you putting a nexus 7 in the car is stupid - they're great devices. BUT. there are two different goals being discussed here.

With the ca-fi device, you're looking at a well rounded CAR STEREO. AKA a device that implements an amplifier, radio antenna AND an android tablet all in one unit with a consistent interface that will plug and play in a car with less than 20 minutes of work - bolted in and running.

Installing a N7 tablet requires an external source for radio if you want it, amplification for the speakers - and overall audio control. Also, you must MODIFY the interior to mount it at unknown amounts of time.

There are pluses and negatives to each. the Ca-Fi device is a fantastic device for a car stereo with the super powers of Android. A Nexus 7 is a great tablet with none of the benefits of a car stereo.

Like I said - each to their own. But comparing on price and specs alone completely misses the point.
SHIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHIFTER For This Useful Post:
MaximaZero (06-01-2014), WRXGuy1 (04-22-2014)