mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp22 View Post
I
Additionally, I usually park at the top of a parking deck, and it can take me 2-3 minutes to get to the exit. What is the effect on warming the engine if I use a bit of gas to start rolling down the deck, then put it in neutral and use momentum to get the rest of the way down? Figured I could get 2-3 minutes of warming time in if that doesn't count as using the engine before the oil warms up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
I just start mine and begin driving within 30 seconds.

Just dont go hard on it (mid to higher revs are OK, heavy load is not) until the water temp (dash gauge) is in the middle range.
Oil temp lags water temp so oil is not warm yet.

If you really want to know get a ELM327 bluetooth OBDII reader and the torque app.

The car has an oil temp sensor, just no gauge.

Here is a log:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
I agree, I drive gently after startup, won't exceed 3k until water temp moves above the lowest mark. Then I'll drive normal under 4k until water temp is norm. After 10-20 min depending on outside temp, then I'll go wot to redline if needed/wanted.

Adding to above points...

I have the Pivot Dual Gauge (review link), and having driven it for a few days in Southern California weather I can safely say the following:

- Ambient starting temps are around 25-30C for both fluids. Car is garaged and ambient air temps are around 55-60F.
- 30 second warmup + ~90 seconds of < 3000 RPM driving gets the needle to the first mark on dash temp gauge. At this point the Pivot gauge reads 60C water temp and around 50C oil temp.
- A total of around 4 minutes is needed for easy driving to get the thermostat to open up around ~70C. The oil temp stays around 60-65C
- Largest delta between coolant and oil temps was around 20 degrees, when the coolant hits 80 but oil temp still is barely 60-ish

Results may vary, but it's safe to say that with easy driving + 30 second warmup, you're looking at roughly 5 seconds for each degree centigrade increase in oil temp from a completely cold engine. Coolant may take longer to warm up if you have the AC on.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
mp22 (03-19-2014)