Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by megancheung View Post
If it's working the way its supposed to all you should have to do is floor the gas pedal. Automatic transmissions sense engine vacuum and sometimes manifold pressure vs. vehicle speed to "automatically" shift into what's called a "forced downshift" If your not getting good passing speed or incline power you may need a transmission adjustment a "kick-down" adjustment. 10 year mechanic.
With this box, you don't have to wait for it to kickdown, ie when I'm going to pass someone, I grab the left paddle, drop a gear or two, and go. The slush box is really good, in sport mode it keeps the revs higher, and you can always manually shift if you need too. Many times on mountain roads, I'll have it in "sport", and when I see a turn with an uphill, I'll manually drop a gear so everything is ready to go on turn exit, as opposed to waiting for the car to figure out we're going up a hill. Still leaves me both hands on the wheel too.

Option 2, drive it in full manual mode. Gearing is different than the manual though, so it gets better mileage, but less off the line speed.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote