Old 02-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
So I understand that the Phantom ESC's DC motor runs at a constant speed therefore it "falls on its face" at high rpms (losses boost pressure). So why can't the system ramp up the amperage at higher rpm to increase the compressor speed and give constant boost pressure like a traditional turbo system.

This is the biggest downside to the system for me. Also that there is no upgrade path you can just up the boost...right?
You are asking the wrong question. The way this system works, you would need to scale back boost at lower rpms to achieve the effect you desire (no boost taper). To maintain a steady 5psi of boost throughout the rev range, a properly designed system would probably be able to provide 15psi of boost at lower rpms and would need to be scaled back. Such a system would require a much larger battery pack, charging equipment and beefier motor. I imagine this would not be cost effective past a certain point. The designer of the current system weighed these options and picked the best compromise he could engineer. It's a cool system. You need to radically redesign the system to do what you want.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
Luckrider (02-11-2014)