View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #1129
vq37

Drives: Opel Kadett
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
If you reread my post, you'll see that I agree with him (except that I might've used the word "generally" rather than "inherently").

You brought up how most people think and what most people will buy. The truth is that most people buy a FWD car or an AWD/4WD SUV/truck.

You wrote that the FT86 "probably has better road feel, likely more balanced and might feel better through the corners" and the GC "wins at everything else". When I look at the 2013 GC, I think to myself: it'll have better acceleration, top speed, grip, warranty, room, and a more upscale interior, but the FT-86 will likely better at everything else.

So we simply have different priorities in a car.

Yes most people buy a FWD car, SUV or truck because they are far more practical cars or achieve their needs as a point A to point B car at a much lower cost than a RWD coupe. Most people don't buy the cars we are interested in because they arn't even in the market for a 2 door sports cars.

But within the RWD coupe market, I'm quite confident that the average buyer will be fairly superficial when buying a car. They will place heavy weight on looks (and I think the GC 2013 will typically lose there), the HP/TQ and straight line acceleration will probably be important too along with interior. The people who really value proper driving dynamics, perfect balance, etc are really a very small minority.

Also, no doubt lighter cars are "generally" nicer to drive, no one is disagreeing with that, but to endless obsess about weight just doesn't make sense. You need to look at more than just weight. Why don't we just all drive around in stripped out NA Miatas? Its lighter than the FRS/BRZ. You can't judge a car by just its weight and I feel many members here are just endless going on and on about the weight of the FRS/BRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post

When I look at the 2013 GC, I think to myself: it'll have better acceleration, top speed, grip, warranty, room, and a more upscale interior, but the FT-86 will likely better at everything else.

So we simply have different priorities in a car.

Indeed we have different priorities, to each his own. My point though is that my view will apply to far more buyers of coupes, its just how the average consumer sees things. I'm not bashing your view or anything, there is nothing wrong if you really have to have the lighter and more balanced car (at the cost of interior, space, power, etc), its just less common. Its not hard to see that when you look at how many 3000lbs+ large genesis like coupes are out there and how many FRS/BRZ type coupes are on the market and roads.
vq37 is offline   Reply With Quote