View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
It's horrible in the snow if you plan to drive it during or immediately after a snowstorm if there's more than a dusting on the roads. I had studless snow tires and even on slight inclines I couldn't start from a stop, I had to back up and get running starts. I live just west of Manchester so it's a little further north with more hills, and even though I made it most days it was not a fun experience.
I don't really plan on driving during/immediately after a snow storm, but mother nature probably won't give me a choice. :P

Do you know if they salt the roads in NH? I'll probably be somewhere within 30 minutes of Dover, but not sure yet. Definitely southern NH though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB View Post
I got my car in March, and the day after I got it, we got a mild snow storm. It was more slush. I drove in it with the stock Michelin Primacy HP tires on, and I did okay. I think snow tires will help out a lot. First day I drove it was still snowing, and I was doing back roads. I did fine, didn't have the tail kick out on me or anything.

Next day, roads weren't plowed very well, and as I got onto the on ramp, I hit a big pile a slush/snow at maybe 45mph, and did have the tail kick out on me slightly for a second. Little bit of counter steer, and I was fine.

I was unfamiliar with the car, having only driven in from the dealer to my house the day before the storm, so less than 5 miles. I feel like now, after nearly 12,000 miles, and with snow tires, it'll be nothing.
I've never driven in snow before, so I'm not really sure what to expect. I know high horsepower and/or performance tires don't do well, but the FR-S is not high horsepower and I could always put winter tires on it. That doesn't solve the problem of it being low, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbizzle004 View Post
It all depends on how good you are of a driver. In deep snow staring from a stop you may need to rock it. I drove it in southern WI last winter with no issues. I have snow tires and did get stuck in the parking lot due to a snow storm and deep snow but I was able to rock it out. But I'm also used to driving rear wheel cars ( Crown Vic, Charger) in the snow with none to little issues.
Were those cars okay in the snow? I'm a decent driver, but completely inexperienced in snow driving (it doesn't snow where I live). I don't plan on getting rid of my Camaro, and I've heard it can do okay in the snow with the right tires (it's the 312 HP V6, not the 426 HP V8). I was considering getting the undercarriage coated and seeing how all-weather/winter tires do on it, but at that price, I may also be better buying a beater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpicher View Post
The thing to remember about snow in New England is that our road crews are used to dealing with it. You get a foot of snow on one day and the roads are clear the next... not like down south where it would cripple an area for 4 or 5 days.

That being said, the crap we put on the roads to deal with salt does bad things to all cars. IMHO, buy a $2000 beater winter car/pickup and put your good car up for the winter.
Would it help to get the undercarriage coated? I bought a 240sx from a guy in Pennsylvania and the undercarriage was completely rust free because he'd had it coated. It looks to be a good idea, but I imagine it would cost a couple/few grand.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote