Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
The 86 has the same brakes as the WRX. You should not have any issues with braking performance. My recommendation is to use more aggressive pads and brake fluid. I can PM you if you would like to discuss more options available and what CSG's experiences are with multiple brake compounds as well as BBKs.
A couple of guys at our local GT86 club have run into brake system issues. We have a circuit around here and there are trackdays available. 3 people have killed their brakes in 1 track day, and on relatively new brakepads (1000 miles at most).

2 guys ate through their brakepads (and one of them even ended up messing up his discs)
1 guy overheated the system, and ended up losing brakes at the end of the main straight.

There was another guy on the same trackday, he had the top spec (17" wheels with ventilated brakes), didn't have an issue and has tracked his car 2 or 3 times I believe.

I think technique may have a little to do with the life of the pads, but I think part of it is still due to brake system the lower spec has.

When I bought my car, there was a huge price difference (US$ 8k) between the lower spec model and the top spec, the mechanical differences were wheels and brakes. I did my math and realized that for the same money I could go for 18" wheels and stickier tires, and even get a budget BBK for front and back.

Most of guys in the club have changed pads/fluid/lines, and are still pending to track their cars to see the overall effect. What I want from my car are upgraded brake system as a whole. I plan to track my car every now and then, but keep it pretty usable as my weekend ride.

I read somewhere that the rear brakes in my car is the same as the Legacy.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote