View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #1259
NIKDENG

Drives: RED BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuerpo View Post
@NIKDENG, care to share how much the Dynamics coilovers go for? im already looking around for parts.. coilovers and rims/tires are my priorities for now

for those who changed rims and lowered the car up to 1-finger gap, do you still rub? what are your rim and tire specs? im tired of rubbing, had that problem with my Jazz even with 4 different sets i installed
@pcuerpo,

Sent you a PM regarding the price of the coil-overs. The 86/brz will not rub in terms of the rims and tires to any part of the body/suspension even when lowered up to 2 inches as long as you get the correct tire and rim combo. The key is the offset and width of the mags and the tire width. If your offset is aggressive (+38 and less) then you will encounter fender and suspension rubbing issues when you go with wide tires (245 and above) when you lower the car.

If you are lowering your car more than 1.5 inches then these are the safe values:

For the front:

Rim width: 7 to 9.0 inches
Rim diameter: 17 - 19 inches
Offset: +44 to +40
Tires: 215 - 235

For the rear:

Rim width: 7 to 9.5 inches
Rim diameter: 17 - 19 inches
Offset: +44 to +38
Tires: 215 - 255

Note however that rubbing (wheel hitting any part of the body or suspension) is not the same as scraping (any part of the car's body hitting the road). The set-ups mentioned will not rub but if you lower your car more than 1.5 inches, you will definitely scape your front-end on steep driveways, ramps and high humps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuerpo View Post
and what are the benefits of going staggered tire setup? i was looking into doing that but i might go squared if there's really no benefit

Advantages:

1. Staggered wheels will basically give you more grip in the back and less drag in the front where its not needed.
2. Gives you rear grip without making the steering feel heavier because the front wheels have less width.
3. Wider rear wheels will help decrease wheel spin on a launch or during power shifting.
4. If you like driving with understeer this is the set-up for you. This helps prevent loosing the rear end for those who have a heavy foot during fast turns.
5. Looks good.

Disadvantages:

1. If you don't like driving with understeer and you like swinging the tail of the car out, this is not for you.
2. Can't rotate tires.
3. Usually staggered rims are more expensive.
4. If you destroy just one of the four wheels, you will have to buy a new set.

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited by NIKDENG; 08-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.
NIKDENG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NIKDENG For This Useful Post:
dagame (08-07-2013), jdmasfcuk (08-07-2013), melon (08-07-2013), pcuerpo (09-17-2013)