View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #966
GreenPants

Drives: Burnt Orange GT86
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
OK @GreenPants as I've now got my unit back in my car I can have a crack at the solutions/fixes you have found but have a couple of questions.

Remember in IT how they said you need to aim for the lowest common denominator - well, in the case of android, that's me, so these questions are really basic but don't want to brick my unit!

1. Startup logo - awesome - have the red TRD one in there. Where do I copy the files to so that they are there without needing the USB? You mentioned it in a post a while ago but I can;t find it.

2. Boot animation - I have renamed the file bootanimation.zip and it is on the root directory of a USB. I can find a directory called "data" under file manager but can't find one called "local" off that - do I just copy into the "data" directory? I note it is empty at the moment.

That's all at this stage!
Ok, I'm going to assume that from my instructions on installing the google maps API files you got the hang of copy and pasting files around.

To resolve both issues you need to have root (superuser) rights. In ES File Manager, select menu, and select 'Root Explorer' which is located under the 'Tools' section. At this stage ES Explorer will be given superuser rights. From the pop-up menu select 'Mount R/W' and click on the RW button next to '/system'. Just remember to switch it back to RO after you finish tinkering. (RO = Read Only, RW = Read/Write)

Now copy the logos from your USB stick to the /system/etc/logo directory (ie, keep on clicking on the up icon until it no longer changes, and then click on 'system', then 'etc', andd finally 'logo').

While the ES File Manager app has root rights, you should also be able to see the contents of /data now (that's one mistake I did make - it turns out you do need root on this device to gain access to this directory). Copy bootanimation.zip to the 'local' directory which should now be visible in the directory.

That's the general 'point-your-nose-in-the-right-direction' instructions. Let me know if that still has your head spinning and I'll sit down and write up a 'push-this-button-now' level guide.

PS, in case people want to copy to/from other devices:
  • USB = /sdcard/udisk
  • MicroSD = /sdcard/extsd

It is confusing that both of these directories are under the /sdcard directory. The /sdcard directory was historically the main storage area and just happened to be on a SD Card on initial Android devices. This not necessarily the case on newer devices, but the convention of calling the main storage area /sdcard has stuck.
GreenPants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenPants For This Useful Post:
mrlizard (10-25-2013), nzer (07-21-2013)