Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #37
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Should I buy a second set of stock wheels/tires for cheap? Or just spend more money and go for something aftermarket at possibly 3x the price? Are the weights/dimensions of the stockies good for drifting?

That's correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
I too would like to know the answer to this. ^

-Sent from outer space
The stock wheels work fine for drifting. I run my daily wheels on the front and then the stock wheels as spares on the back.

My gold wheels are 17x8.25 with 215/45 tires. The stock wheels use the same size tires so the car still sits the way I want it. The setup works great for me and a lot of other people on here do the same thing. No rubbing at all and the wheel weight doesn't really make the car feel sluggish. Stock wheels make great drift spares.

Eventually, I'll buy a set of 18" Gram Lights or Works and then the gold wheels will become my drift spares...but until then, this works fine.

As far as tires go, you can pick up some used tires or get some new, cheap tires. Achilles, Nexen, Nankang, Federal, Kenda, Accelera etc etc. All of those tires are extremely cheap (~$55 per tire in 215/45r17) and some of them last quite a while. Seeing how we only make 150-160whp, you don't need some extremely wide, extremely grippy tire. Cheap tires work well for the car.

Hopefully, that helps answer your question.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
campy (07-21-2013)