Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Stock BRZ Limited Seats Wearing Quickly (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85287)

nastynate88 03-23-2015 07:47 AM

Stock BRZ Limited Seats Wearing Quickly

Hey all,

Is anyone else experiencing very quick wear of the driver's side leather seat? The bolsters on the left side of the seat have a good amount of "wrinkles" in them after only 6600 or so miles on the car. Is this something I can claim a warranty on?

I'm not a huge guy (200 lbs./ 6"1'), and I don't grab onto the seat to get out of the car. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

fika84 03-23-2015 10:06 AM

I would think the seat is a "wear" item that would only be replaced if you got stabbed by a piece of metal breaking within it.. I have about 16K miles on my car and I'm also noticing some wear on the left leather bolster, but I don't think it's abnormal.

billwot 03-23-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastynate88 (Post 2180855)
Hey all,

Is anyone else experiencing very quick wear of the driver's side leather seat? The bolsters on the left side of the seat have a good amount of "wrinkles" in them after only 6600 or so miles on the car. Is this something I can claim a warranty on?

I'm not a huge guy (200 lbs./ 6"1'), and I don't grab onto the seat to get out of the car. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Sure...tell 'em some guys on the internet said it was OK.

Tcoat 03-23-2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fika84 (Post 2180983)
I would think the seat is a "wear" item that would only be replaced if you got stabbed by a piece of metal breaking within it.. I have about 16K miles on my car and I'm also noticing some wear on the left leather bolster, but I don't think it's abnormal.

Ya, unfortunately that is a fact of life with leather car seats. Sort of the trade off you make for the benefits. Always looks weird in my cars as the driver seat always looked really bad (14 hours a week driving) and the rest looked pristine (very, very, rarely any passengers).

Burrcold 03-23-2015 10:11 AM

Depends on the severity of wear. Once you get some pictures up, you'll get a more educated response from the forum. Everyone will have some degree of wrinkling and lines on the bolsters but there are far too many variables to say warranty or not (at 6,600 miles I can't see them denying a claim though if they are as badly worn as you are saying).

nastynate88 03-23-2015 10:46 AM

I'll get pictures up during lunch, thank you all for your input. :)

gramicci101 03-23-2015 10:52 AM

Mine pulled apart at the stitching on the outside of the bolster. I understand that seats are a wear item, but it shouldn't be separating after only 22K miles. I got new seat covers under warranty.

Tcoat 03-23-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramicci101 (Post 2181032)
Mine pulled apart at the stitching on the outside of the bolster. I understand that seats are a wear item, but it shouldn't be separating after only 22K miles. I got new seat covers under warranty.

Ya that is a whole different ball game then the expected wrinkles!

tennisfreak 03-23-2015 11:26 AM

Leather will tend to wrinkle quickly.

The way to reduce it is put conditioner on it weekly.

Keep it out of direct sunlight too.

I know this is not always possible but if your windows are not tinted, TINT THEM. Always put up a sun visor in your front windshield.

billwot 03-23-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisfreak (Post 2181076)

I know this is not always possible but if your windows are not tinted, TINT THEM. Always put up a sun visor in your front windshield.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nastynate88 03-23-2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisfreak (Post 2181076)

I have 35% tints all around (except for the front windshield) and my car's been stored in my garage over the winter :P

Joeycokeboy 03-23-2015 04:12 PM

I have the sane issue 6,300 miles on my seats from my frs monogram. Pisses me off i need to go the the dealership

tennisfreak 03-23-2015 04:15 PM

Hmm maybe a pic of the wear would help.

My wifes Lexus RX350 with black leather seats has wrinkles in them on certain spots but nothing I would feel is bad enough to claim warranty.

I'd like to see if my expectations are lower than yours for how leather seats should look and wear.

chaoskaze 03-23-2015 05:21 PM

I think those leather protector helps... I have some on mine too. But I think it's cuz my body is a bit wide for the Chair bolsters.