Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   BRZ Glove Box Lock (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82063)

iamdaspoon 02-08-2015 11:44 AM

BRZ Glove Box Lock

As you guys probably already know the BRZ/FRS/GT86 doesn't come with a lock on the glove box, has anyone figured anyway to either have one installed or get an entire replacement if they're available? I tried searching but to no avail, I'm sure I'm not the first person to think about this. Any Ideas?

swarb 02-08-2015 01:56 PM

mailbox lock, a drill, and a rubber gromit . good luck.

azian_advanced 02-08-2015 02:11 PM

just screw one of these badboys on...

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...70/Zv66965.jpg

iamdaspoon 02-08-2015 09:09 PM

I figured those were the responses I was going to get

Poodles 02-08-2015 10:06 PM

Why do you need a locked glove box? Anyone that gets in the car can easily open it. The truck is the locked part of the vehicle (hit the button in the truck and it will require the key to get in). Of course that's also easily defeated, but nothing is a perfect protector...

PandaSPUR 02-08-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 2124132)
Why do you need a locked glove box? Anyone that gets in the car can easily open it. The truck is the locked part of the vehicle (hit the button in the truck and it will require the key to get in). Of course that's also easily defeated, but nothing is a perfect protector...

TBH most locks that we use anywhere can be opened easily. Its really just a deterrent for the types who like to snoop around your crap. Its also good for annoying children/teens/passengers.

But unfortunately, I don't have any ideas :|

swarb 02-08-2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdaspoon (Post 2124055)
I figured those were the responses I was going to get

What is wrong with my suggestion? If you do it clean, it will work. There is no oem option. And my suggestion probably the only solution. You want a lock. Add a lock. Or search google for glove box lock and get one of those plastic ones.

Turbowned 02-09-2015 11:23 AM

I recommend keeping a small lock box in the trunk if you really need to keep your valuables secure.

aznatama 02-09-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 2124677)
I recommend keeping a small lock box in the trunk if you really need to keep your valuables secure.

How about just not keeping valuables in the car?

If OP is concerned about something like... police searches (they usually can't go into locked compartments), then the lock box int he trunk would work, but likely a locked box inside glove compartment would work too (although the trunk is better).

Else, you're probably looking at fabricating something.

extrashaky 02-09-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarb (Post 2123580)
mailbox lock, a drill, and a rubber gromit . good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarb (Post 2124209)
What is wrong with my suggestion? If you do it clean, it will work. There is no oem option. And my suggestion probably the only solution. You want a lock. Add a lock. Or search google for glove box lock and get one of those plastic ones.

Swarb has it right. The thing to do would be to pick up a spare glove box off eBay, open it up to see how it works and install a small lock cylinder with an arm that prevents the little glove box handle from moving. You might be able to find someone locally who does car interiors who can do it for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 2124132)
The truck is the locked part of the vehicle (hit the button in the truck and it will require the key to get in).

Trunk. Not truck.

Poodles 02-09-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2124721)

Trunk. Not truck.

GD phone autocorrect...

iamdaspoon 02-09-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarb (Post 2124209)

Didn't mean it sarcastically, I'm just not really knowledgable enough to fabricate something like that.

iamdaspoon 02-09-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 2124677)

Thats what I've been doing, it is not really a theft deterrent, more of a police search avoidance. I wanted the glove box to lock though because I like having my things in arms reach as opposed to being in the trunk.

swarb 02-09-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdaspoon (Post 2125202)
Thats what I've been doing, it is not really a theft deterrent, more of a police search avoidance. I wanted the glove box to lock though because I like having my things in arms reach as opposed to being in the trunk.

Get a combination/key lock box. Friend uses it and it has saved his ass a few times.