Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Engine Failure (Bearing Rod 2) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76884)

Incursion 10-30-2014 09:26 PM

Engine Failure (Bearing Rod 2)

So I'm driving on the highway and down shift and hit 6k rpm and then floor it. The car starts making a weird buzzing sound that tracked with the accelerator. Kept driving since I was in between cities on a long-distance trip. About 10 miles later, the sound became erratic and the engine just died while going 80 MPH.

pushrod 10-30-2014 09:43 PM

List of mods?

OmarGC 10-30-2014 10:02 PM

Probably stock, subaru quality lol

Lonewolf 10-31-2014 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmarGC (Post 2005195)
Probably stock, subaru quality lol

Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I wish the powertrain in the FRS was straight from Toyota....I had a new Subaru Outback die on the wife and I during a test drive for crying out loud...:thumbdown:

OmarYasin 10-31-2014 12:31 AM

Ok heres my first questions, are u on the factory ecu or has it been updated or flashed from a aftermarket source?

projekkt 10-31-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf (Post 2005316)
Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I wish the powertrain in the FRS was straight from Toyota....I had a new Subaru Outback die on the wife and I during a test drive for crying out loud...:thumbdown:

But then you don't get the flat+cvt+symmetrical awd. :cry:

Everytime I drive a toyota toyota, I want to smack my head on the steering wheel. My entire family drives toyota's and while reliable, they're super old tech and boring.

Plus it seems most issues develop within warranty anyway. At least it popped on a test drive and not after you bought the car!

WazzuGrad 10-31-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projekkt (Post 2005449)
But then you don't get the flat+cvt+symmetrical awd. :cry:

Everytime I drive a toyota toyota, I want to smack my head on the steering wheel. My entire family drives toyota's and while reliable, they're super old tech and boring.

Plus it seems most issues develop within warranty anyway. At least it popped on a test drive and not after you bought the car!

Oh, BS. You want to tell me that this boxer engine sounds much better than a MR2 engine or that much more advanced? Maybe that's the reason why Lotus put a toyota engine in their elise, because of the old technology.

On the center gravity part, yes it was a great choice! But to say that subary engines are so much more advanced than toyota engines would be wrong in my opinion.

Frankly i am not surprised of the issues the FA20 platform is having. When your joining two companies efforts together is bound to happen. The communication between the two engineering groups cannot be flawless and some items will be overlooked...

Dipstik-sportech 10-31-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WazzuGrad (Post 2005857)
Oh, BS. You want to tell me that this boxer engine sounds much better than a MR2 engine or that much more advanced? Maybe that's the reason why Lotus put a toyota engine in their elise, because of the old technology.

Actually they used Toyota engines to meet the US emission's so they could sell the cars in north america. Toyota were the only ones that would sell them the drivetrains, the K series Honda is a much more advanced engine and is a better fit with the lotus as tuners have proved.

extrashaky 10-31-2014 06:22 PM

I'm still waiting for the OP's list of mods.

strat61caster 10-31-2014 07:03 PM

Yeah OP posts sensational story that can be easily explained with some vital basic details such as: bad aftermarket tune, bad aftermarket mawds, FI+shitty tune, high mileage/abuse+poor maintenance, early car that hid the cam position problem for a long time, didn't grab 3rd/4th gear and actually grabbed 2nd and hit 9k etc.

Could be a one in a million fluke, could be a potential issue waiting to surface taking thousands of these cars off the road triggering a big black mark on Toyobaru's name, at this point though it's not more serious than the leprechaun blackmailing me.

Hope we don't scare him off with our cynicism, it's posts like these that can really help the community when knowledge and insight is shared.

mav1178 10-31-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incursion (Post 2005166)
So I'm driving on the highway and down shift and hit 6k rpm and then floor it.

You downshifted into 6000RPM!?!?

Wow, you need to figure out a better gear to downshift into.

-alex

Incursion 10-31-2014 08:03 PM

No mods, bone stock.

pushrod 10-31-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 2006316)

-alex

If he downshifted to 6k, the next shorter gear would have been close to redline.

vobla6.0 10-31-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 2006316)

-alex

Thats ~1.5K RPM below redline...
My 15 year old, 162K mile car takes that kind of shit all day.
Not saying that it doesnt stress the engine, but there is no reason that it should lead to catastrophic failure.

Surprised this is rod 2 and not rod 4.